Covered Bridges in the Scio Region

“Pioneers armed with only hand tools, sweat and ambition began building covered bridges in Oregon during the mid-1850’s. They often camped out at remote sites, living off the land or contracting with local farmers for food. Early covered bridge owners often financed construction by charging tolls: 3 cents for a sheep, 5 cents for a horse and rider.

In the early 20th century, the state provided standard bridge designs to each county. Most of these structures incorporated the Howe truss. The abundance of Douglas Fir and the shortage of steel during the World Wars continued construction of covered spans well into the 1950’s. A wooden bridge was covered to keep the huge truss timbers dry. A covered bridge could last 80 years or more, while an uncovered span would deteriorate in about nine years.” by Covered Bridge Society of Oregon.

Scio and the area around were once served by at least nine covered bridges; two were demolished and two have been moved to neighboring communities as park features; these four have all been replaced by modern steel & concrete structures; five covered bridges remain in daily service now. This is a brief story of the remaining five covered bridges around Scio.

To the Howe Truss